Monday 28 September 2009

Yabba dabba do

Remember I set myself a goal to lower my handicap in the three remaining handicap qualifying competitions left this season, well I've done it and I did it a competition early! I was ecstatic. On the short drive home I even did four sets of fist pumps and a bit of a woo whooo! Golf hasn't brought me this feeling in a long time. I missed it. It's good.

The details are that I played Saturday and Sunday in competitions and shot 2 over and 1 over respectively. However don't be fooled, don't think my new found gym work and golf coaching have instantly turned me into a sweet striking par golfer, they've not. My golf this weekend was ugly. Hitting 4 or 5 fairways, around 6 greens and having about 24 putts each round paints the picture that I must of miss a lot with the long game and then got up and down pretty well for a lot of each round, which I did, but I was completely unaware of this till afterwards when I analysed my round. My short game didn't feel good, it felt mediocre, you know just pitching reasonably close and holing a good share of those missable length putts - nothing special. This leads to me to my top tip, which is always analyse your round and see whats hot and whats not, you may like my be surprised to discover a certain weakness, ie. I was surprised with how few fairways I hit. Therefore this week it's off to the driving range. I've got to remember I started this to get better and have that thirst for improvement that all good players have.

The first few steps of the marathon have been good. I need to now keep up the pace.
Handicap: 4.6.

No comments:

Post a Comment